Saturday, May 2, 2009

Meet the Artist - With Handsewn

It's been a while since I hosted an artist on my blog, and therefore I am hosting a super special artist this weekend. For this is not a painter, a fashion designer, or a jewelry designer. This talented lady and dear friend designs and makes crochet worms.

Tell my readers a bit about yourself.

Hi, my name is Janie. I am an ex-heavy metal head from the 80's. I used to be one of those chicks that would put on the dog collar and wear the handcuffs to go see concerts like Iron Maiden and AC/DC. I used to drink and smoke and whenever my pizza had vegetables on it, I was sure to scrape them off.

Looks quite harmless n'est pas? I thought I'd better start off showing a nice doll

When and how did you begin to crochet? Is this your only creative medium?

I began crocheting when I was 4 years old, in the early 70's. My mom was showing all the neighborhood kids, even the boys, how to make chains. I remember crying out of frustration but I managed a couple of links before I threw down the hook screaming. Crocheting is my main creative outlet but I can also knit,sew a little, and love to paint and write.

Where do you sell your art? Is this your day job?

I sell exclusively on Etsy and it is my only source of income. My husband works as a carpenter.

This wormie has the wormie flu. Run away!!

How (the hell) did you come up with the concept of making wormies?

I had to crochet my first worm around 8 years ago when my oldest was 4 years old. Earthworms were her favorite creature and I couldn't find any in stores. The first I made was one we called Baby worm. It had a bonnet and those glue on googly eyes that she kept knocking off. When my second child was 3 years old she found baby worm and played with it constantly until it got lost. A few years later I had four daughters total and you guessed it- they all liked worms.

Is it true that you and your wormies plan to take over the world, and if so - can you share some of the laws you plan to implement once you do?

Me and the wormies will not be taking over the world. Count on us more as being available to free the world if it becomes necessary.

No world domination planned. Yer right.

What is your favorite item of all times?

My favorite item of all time has to be Einstein Worm because when I made him I burst into hysterical laughter. And I get the same feeling every time I see a picture of him. Though truth be known hot dog vendor wormie had the same effect.



P.S - Due to proper disclosure I find myself obligated to admit I am a wormie addict. I have a Scottish wormie, a Jewish wormie (custom made for me) , mommy and baby wormie, doctor wormie (he works for my mom), and I bought several others for my friends during the past months. I can stop anytime I choose to though, I would like to make that perfectly clear.

Pinky and friends in Jerusalem
Pinky, mommy, and baby wormie in Jerusalem

Here are some Janie links for you:
What a talented family!!

2 comments:

Junie said...

I LOVE Wormies also !!!!! They should totally take over the world !!! Janie you are soooooo talented as are the rest of your family !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sharona R - שרונה ראובני said...

I think they already do. I think I saw a few in the first rows of the Israeli Independence Day Ceremony last week, right next to president Peres.