Thursday, May 28, 2009

Meet the Artist - With Antiquebasketlady

Summer is approaching in huge steps and with it come summer purchases. What does one need in summer? A good sunscreen lotion, a pair of comfy sandals, a colorful sun outfit, and a bag (well, at least if you are a woman. Most men I know are perfectly fine just putting their keys and wallets in their back pocket). I don't know about you, but when I think of summery bags, I think of Sue. Not only is Sue a talented crafter, but she is a also a caring, sweet, hardworking, and bright lady - Just my type of gal!

Tell my readers a bit about yourself.

I am a wife, mother, grandmother of two sweet granddaughters (Courtney and Violet), mother in law, and Registered Nurse and oh...last but not least - a designer of bags and accessories.

Did someone just mentioned a nurse?

When and how did you begin to sew? Is this your only creative medium?


I have always loved fabrics and even as a child I would help my mom and grandmother make quilts. I also enjoy painting, cooking, and gardening.

Some of Sue's beautiful flowers

Where do you sell your bags? Is this your day job?

My items can be found in my Etsy shop and also at area craft and arts shows in Wisconsin. My dream would be to sell full time, but at this time I work full time at our community hospital in the maternity department.

Your Etsy shop is quite successful. Can you share some tips on how to increase traffic and sales?

I have been selling my bags and accessories for over ten years on various online venues. I also find it is important to promote business at local craft fairs, passing out business cards, and utilizing social network such as twitter, plurk, and flickr.

This is my personal favorite on Sue's shop at this time

Can you tell is a bit about your work process? Your inspiration, the creation process.

I am inspired by fabric, requests from family and friends and the fact that I just love purses and totes.
This is a wonderful example, I think, of Sue's love of fabric.
Back and front of her Everyday Pop Garden Pleated Shoulder Tote Bag


What is your favorite item of all times? Please send me a picture too.

This is one of my most favorite bags - the Sun Glow HOBO bag.

Sue and I will love to hear your thoughts and comments. Now, run away little darlings and check all of Sue's links and shop. I bet you will find that gift you were looking for (for yourself, or a loved one).

Happy Shavuot (Pentecost) everybody!

I will not be able to eat dairy products and cheesecakes, so I will have to make do with watching others enjoy theirs.

No comments: