Sunday, August 30, 2009

Meet the Artist - With Ieva

Last week, while taking one of my Etsy strolls (which I like doing when I'm bored and there's nothing nice on TV, which happens quite often) I stumbled about a lovely shop of whimsy polymer clay jewelry, quite unique and full of imagination - I was drown into the artist's world quite instantly. I immediately hearted her and sent her a convo asking to feature her shop. She was nice enough to agree (she was actually quite pleased!) and so I am proud to introduce the lovely and talented Ieva!

Tell my readers a bit about yourself

My name is Ieva, I‘m 17 year old Lithuanian girl who will soon move to study in Italy. Art is my hobby and hopefully will turn into job as well. Other than art I like Asian culture, wind, whispers, trees, and colors.

I made a similar face when I realized she is almost half my age

When and how did you begin to create polymer clay accessories? Is this your only creative medium?

I first saw polymer clay (Fimo) two years ago at an international camp, but back then it wasn‘t sold in my country. Once being in Poland I bought some color blocks, tried to make various canes, that were so popular among people working with polymer clay. It didn‘t work out for me and after some time I decided that I can develop my own style. That‘s how I started making little colorful characters I make now.

I‘m an explorer, I work almost with all materials I can find,I try different styles. From my inside I‘m definitely a painter (I also graduated from Art school, painting course), I draw cards, photography is one of my biggest passions, I cannot live without crafts, I like writing poems, one of the most beautiful languages for me is Japanese. Having such a varied personality I join my different hobbies into one. This turns into brooches with my own photographs, painting on furniture and umbrellas,cards with texts in Japanese on them.

You just started your way on Etsy, and are still waiting for your first sale. Where else do you sell your art? Is this your day job?

Today I got my first sale! One nice Australian bought three items and I‘m very happy about it. My Etsy is the only shop I sell my art in. I usually sell my art to friends, friends‘ friends, my mother‘s friends, etc. Sometimes I participate in fairs. Fairs are the best way to get the feedback an artist needs to see that he is not working for nothing.
You are yet to add your and whisper line to your shop. Can you tell us a bit about the difference between your lines, and maybe share some photos as well?

My accessories from polymer clay are funky, funny and cute, whereas and whisper line is more for special occasions, sophisticated and luxurious items. Since all of and whisper line items disappear everytime my mother‘s friends come, I haven‘t added them to my shop yet.

Hard to blame mom's friends..

Can you tell us a bit about your work process? Your inspiration, the creation process..

As for being an artist I fail at one stage – I never make sketches. I know it would be useful, but the vision in my head always looks better than on paper. So I write it down instead of drawing. My inspiration comes literally out of nowhere. Sometimes I inspire myself, even though this might sound ridiculous. I can‘t count the times I painted something looking at my own photographs and these paintings I like best. Of course, I surf the net and see amazing things made by amazing people and they inspire me a lot, but for the ideas - they just pop into my head. And I can‘t sleep till I make those ideas come true.

Beaded eye charm

What is your favorite item of all times?

This question took me a while. I chose a painting that is so precious to me that I can‘t even find nice frames for it – all of them seem too plain :)


Such talent at such a young age, ahh! Where have all the years gone by? I cannot imagine what wonderful creations she will create in what promises to be her very bright future. Yay Ieva!!

If you want more of her work, visit her blog and her website.

1 comment:

Sharona R - שרונה ראובני said...

Thank you so much, Sara! I truly appreciate that :o)