Friday, December 26, 2008

I'm taking my new hamster on a Picnik

Today was the first sunny day in a while, so I grabbed my camera and headed to take some photos. I chose a light mint green background to my photos, which proved to be a not so wonderful choice after all - looking more like a dirty white than a fresh green. What ever shall I do? Shall I rush up again to take more pictures? Of course not, I had my new buddy Picnik come to the rescue.

Picnik is a rather new online photo editing tool, which is built into Flickr. You can upload your photos from your workstation, but I found that it makes my entire system hang, and I get better performance if I upload to Flickr first, and click the Edit button on the picture. So I uploaded the pictures of Benson the miracle hamster pincushion (just added to my Etsy shop) to Flickr, and from there the road was short to way better looking item images. A bit of color moderation, some toying with the exposure (use the Advanced option always, that's what makes the object really pop out) save it back to Flickr, and voila! A whole of a lot happier looking Benson. See?

Also, last night I finally found a nice looking, just the right size, and okay price too Christmas tree on Tiv-Taam (a local Russian chain of supermarkets) and took some new photos of Santa and Twinkle Flutterbutt. It is too late for this year, but next year, I will be ready with good looking pictures for the holiday season.


Last note of the day - I started listing in my new art shop on ArtFire. I have a lot to learn about how to operate that website. I have no idea what Karma is for example, and their online help is not very useful (I spent the last two years of my life writing online help, so I know!). I am also having problems with the Bio part. Each time I enter an HTML code, it gets cut in the middle, very annoying. Does any of my readers sell over there and can offer some advice?

Anyway, I hope to get my first sale over there soon. I am not quite sure how to promote it. I have no intention of working another forum. No way Jose. That is just not going to happen.

Anyway, that's it for today. I wanted to go for a bit of a walk (to start losing those Hanukkah donuts weight) but had no time. What a shame..

No comments: