Thursday, November 5, 2009

What's up with my ranking plunging down?

I just noticed my Etsy shop ranking went down from 3/10 to not available. I assume this is due to Etsy recently changing the unmasked shop URLs from those with a number at the end to www.etsy.com/shop/[your shop name] as part of their recent strives to comply with SEO trends. You can still get to your shop by typing [your shop name].etsy.com but as far as search engines are concerned, I guess the longer link is what matters.

According to this, it will take search engines several weeks to update their page ranks. I hope this means that next month my ranking will return to its usual, but still - damn it. Why do it now, just before the holidays?

If you are curious to find out what your current pagerank is, use this little widget here.




Check Page Rank of any web site pages instantly:




This free page rank checking tool is powered by Page Rank Checker service

4 comments:

beicreations said...

Mine's down to 2/10! This whole thing confuses me. I thought the 301 redirect thing meant our shop addresses are supposed to be shopname.etsy.com - so I don't get this.

BTW, love your flutters!
Dee

Sharona R - שרונה ראובני said...

Thanks Dee :o)

After reading this I feel slightly less and slightly more confused at the same time.

So okay, it takes a few weeks for search engines to reknow you, but then what? Will the ranking be back to the old one? God knows..

Heather Leavers said...

totally confused. I'm 3/10 apparently - but is that good or bad? I have no idea.

Sharona R - שרונה ראובני said...

I was 3\10 and I think it's nice for a little shop like we guys have.